Northminster's Mission Ministry wants to help move God's people from sitting to serving.
Listed here are a few current service opportunities available through Northminster to
Represent the Love of Christ.
You can give without loving. But you cannot love without giving.
Blessed to Be a Blessing
During the summer months, many of us take time to enjoy some family visits, travel and take a deep breath before the fall and holiday seasons start. As we enjoy the summer days, there are many opportunities in our community to reach out and be a blessing to those around us.
Being the hands and feet of Jesus can be an amazing gift as we share the love of our Lord & Savior. Below are volunteer opportunities and organizations in our local community that could always use a helping hand. Please consider joining in as the summer days unfold ahead. A smile can be shared with all those in need and our hearts will be blessed as we share the blessings God has so richly given to us!
- Peoria Public Schools, 309-672-6512: Volunteers needed to assist with 2017-2018 School Registration. Registration Hubs are located at Richwoods High School, Manual Academy, Peoria High School, and Glen Oak Community Learning Center. Registration held between 7/25/2017 through 8/5/2017. Times, days and sign up here.
- South Side Mission Marts: The South Side Mission Mart stores are always in need of volunteers to help sort and display donations. Call the location to arrange time and day. Visit their website for details.
- 1st Location: South Side Mission Marts - 3033 North Sterling Ave, Peoria IL 61604
Phone: 309-682-2495 Monday through Saturday ~ Hours: 9 am to 6 pm
- 2nd Location: South Side Mission Marts - 1614 West Pioneer Parkway, Peoria IL 61615
Phone: 309-693-2110 Monday through Saturday ~ Hours: 9 am to 8 pm
- Dream Center Peoria, 309-676-3000:Project #1 Mission Peoria is a week-long mission trip for youth groups to give back to the city, neighborhoods and organizations of Peoria. Students are split into teams and help with service projects and children’s ‘VBS-like’ programming.
- Mission Peoria Kitchen Help (July 24-29) This is an opportunity to serve at many different times. Volunteers are needed at breakfast, lunch and dinner. To sign up click here.
- Project #2 Through Backpack Peoria, the Dream Center partners with Peoria Public Schools and various community organizations to provide families with a one-stop shop to get ready for school. On Saturday, July 29th, between 2500 and 3000 backpacks filled with school supplies are given away. While at the event, families have an opportunity to register for school, get necessary dental and medical exams, meet with school administrators and get in touch with area resources. To sign up, click here.
Looking for a way to assist an organization, but you don't know what their needs are? Or, you know what they need, but you do not have time to shop and then deliver? Did you know that several non-profits have wish lists on Amazon -- you can view their lists, purchase the items, and then have it shipped directly to them? Peoria Rescue Ministries and Crittenton Centers are two examples in the Peoria area. Got to Your Lists and select Find a Wish List or Registry in the drop down menu, and then search for the organization you'd like to help. It's simple and a great way to help those in need!
Also, did you know that you can shop on Amazon and use a designated charity? If you go to smile.amazon.com instead of amazon.com, you can support various organizations (you can chose from over 1 million charitable organizations) just by shopping Amazon -- at no additional cost to you! Some of the organizations you can support include American Red Cross, JDRF, Feed America, and the Salvation Army.
Join us as we serve at Loaves and Fish January 9th. Loaves and Fish is a weekly feeding ministry providing a free hot meal, food pantry, worship service, educational assistance, clothing room and medical clinic to those in need each Saturday. Begun in 1994, Loaves & Fish serves from 250 - 375 guests weekly.
Since 1994, over 30,000 different volunteers have given their time to the Loaves and Fish ministry. Volunteers represent a variety of faith, and civic organizations, as well as individuals with a desire to serve.
What to know about volunteering:
- The volunteer shift runs from 9:30 am - 2:00 pm every Saturday
- Volunteers are expected to stay for the entire shift
- Volunteers need to be adults or have adult supervision
- A light lunch is served to volunteers before the free meal is served to guests
- Volunteers will be assigned a variety of duties
Contact Lois Sahm @ email@example.com to sign up or for more information
Compassion International allows you the opportunity to sponsor a child who is in desperate need of your support and to share the gospel with them. This is a great ministry opportunity for people who are younger, older, single, married, and families with kids—virtually all of us can enjoy the opportunity to share our faith and help
someone who is so very vulnerable—all in the name of Jesus.
As a sponsor you have a special role to play in encouraging your child. As you give your love and support, share prayers, letters, birthday and Christmas gifts you will be showing a child in need that you are there for them. You’ll be showing them that they are important and that their lives matter.
There are several Northminster members who have sponsored Compassion children for a long time. To read their stories click below.